Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de São Paulo
The University of São Paulo Medical School Health System
The main mission of the FMUSP-HC System is to provide assistance to patients, teaching, research and extramural activities with emphasis on a multidisciplinary and multi-institutional approach, adaptable to the Brazilian reality, and able to contribute to the quality of the Brazilian public health system.
The FMUSP-HC System
The first and second medical schools of Brazil were founded in 1808 by the Brazilian Emperor D. Pedro II. The first was in Salvador, Bahia, and the second in Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, in the same year. Yet the FMUSP-HC System is the oldest Brazilian academic health system.
It was originated from a law sanctioned by the Governor of the State of São Paulo, to create an “Academia de Medicina, Cirurgia e Farmácia” in November, 1891. This law was later changed in December, 1912 to create the “Faculdade de Medicina e Cirurgia de São Paulo”, and the legal process was eventually finalized by a governmental decree in January, 1913. This new medical school was later renamed Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de São Paulo, or FMUSP (the University of São Paulo Medical School) when the University of São Paulo was created in 1934.
The founder and first Dean of the new medical school in São Paulo, Dr. Arnaldo Augusto Vieira de Carvalho, soon established a profitable and productive collaboration with the Rockefeller Foundation in 1916 which lasted until the early 1930´s. Exchange of faculty and medical staff and researchers associated to significant financial support from the Foundation resulted in the creation of the Department of Hygiene of the State of São Paulo, and the “Faculdade de Higiene e Saúde Pública” (School of Hygiene and Public Health later incorporated to the University of São Paulo), among other accomplishments. In 1920 a decision was made to construct a new and modern building for the Medical School, and the Rockefeller Foundation provided financial support for this endeavor. The construction of the main building eventually started in 1928 and was finalized in 1931.
Soon after its foundation, FMUSP instituted a new model of medical education in the country. These efforts included the reorganization of medical teaching and research in Brazil. Many years after using the “Santa Casa de Misericórdia de São Paulo” (Holy House of São Paulo Hospital) for medical training, practice, teaching, and patient care, it was decided to establish a dedicated University hospital linked to the school. The enterprise was conducted by the government of the State of São Paulo, and the new teaching hospital, Hospital das Clínicas da FMUSP (HC-FMUSP), was built in 1944.
Today, the FMUSP-HC system is the largest in the country, comprising, besides the Medical School, various units (institutes) specialized in high complexity healthcare (tertiary care). The System is a non-for-profit, public health center belonging to the State of São Paulo Health Care System. The initial main building (HC) is now called Central Institute (ICHC). The system also includes hospitals of medium complexity (secondary care), auxiliary community hospitals, units specialized in full time care of HIV/AIDS patients, a teaching Health Center (for primary care), and Basic Health Care Units (for primary care). It also runs and manages a huge, brand new and highly advanced Cancer Center, and a traditional specialized hospital devoted to infectious and parasitic diseases; both these centers are units from the State of São Paulo Health Care Network but their medical staff and faculty are from the FMUSP-HC System. Crucial to the financial health and efficiency of the System are two important private Foundations which aid its financial support and management. These foundations revolutionized the management of public/state institutions in Brazil.
Faculdade de Medicina da USP- FMUSP
Founded in 1912-13 and incorporated to the University of São Paulo in 1934, the Faculdade de Medicina da USP (FMUSP) is the most traditional and respected medical school in Brazil. Along almost a century of existence, FMUSP has built an unquestionable leadership in the development of education and research, and in the application of such knowledge towards the improvement of the population’s health. Its excellence in education was recognized internationally in March, 1951, when it achieved the highest score (level A) conferred by the Council on Medical Education and Hospitals, from the American Medical Association (AMA) of the United States.FMUSPs activities are known for its combination of education, research and health care.
It is the cellula mater and central core of the FMUSP-HC System, and bears the following missions:
Medical Graduate Course Description
Basic Sciences and Pre-Clinical Cycles (years One, Two, Three and Four)
The first years consist of basic sciences and pre-clinical studies (theoretical and practical). Students receive their final grades based on written tests, oral exams and class presentations.
Clinical Clerkships (years Five and Six)
The last two years consist of exclusive hands-on clinical experience and training, in which students rotate through the five major areas of Medicine and its subspecialties. Under proper and expert supervision, they are responsible for direct inpatient and outpatient care. Students have the opportunity to train at the FMUSP-affiliated teaching hospitals (from the FMUSP-HC System) which are regarded as national reference centers. This permits them to be exposed to a wide spectrum of illnesses and a great diversity of patients.
FMUSP’s Central Teaching Hospital – Hospital das Clínicas
The Hospital das Clínicas (HC) is part of the University of São Paulo Medical School, and it is the largest hospital in Latin America. Opened on April 19th, 1944, HC-FMUSP is an autarchy of the Government of the State of São Paulo, and it is linked to the State Health Secretary Office for its administrative coordination. It was associated to FMUSP precisely to provide education, research and health services, as well as medical treatments of high complexity for the community. The HC complex occupies a total area of 352 square meters, with approximately 2,200 beds spread among 7 specialized institutes, 2 auxiliary hospitals, laboratories of medical and surgical research, specialized units, a rehabilitation unit and two associated hospitals, as follows:
· Central Institute
· Heart Institute
· Orthopedics and Traumatology Institute
· Pediatrics Institute
· Psychiatry Institute
· Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Institute
· Radiology Institute
© Todos os direitos reservados desde 1999. Portal da Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de São Paulo.
Av. Dr. Arnaldo, 455 - Cerqueira César - CEP: 01246-903 - São Paulo - SP - Brasil - Telefone: +55 11 3061-8317
Sobre o Portal | Equipe do Portal | Política de uso | Direitos autorais | Mapa do Site |